15 Questions to Ask Before Your Child Gets Braces
If you don’t know what you don’t know about braces for teens and tweens, bring this checklist to your child’s dentist and get all the answers (and confidence) that you need.
As a parent, caring for your child’s teeth starts with taking them to the dentist regularly. This allows the dentist to monitor your child’s dental development and watch for potential issues relating to their teeth and jaw. If necessary, by the age of seven, your child can be assessed for orthodontic treatment. Most children are fitted with braces between 10 to 14 years of age, with girls typically developing faster than boys.
Whether braces were recommended or requested, it’s a big decision for both you and your child. We can’t stress the importance of an informed decision enough, so we’ve developed a handy 15-question checklist to go through with your child’s dentist.
Questions to Ask Your Child’s Dentist:
1. Why does my child need braces?
2. What is the intended outcome of the treatment?
3. Are there any risks involved?
4. Can treatment wait until after my child gets wisdom teeth?
5. What are the pros and cons of the different types of braces?
6. Is Invisalign Teen an option?
7. How long is the treatment expected to last?
8. How frequently does my child have to visit the dentist?
9. How will the treatment affect my child’s daily life?
10. How will the treatment affect my child’s oral hygiene?
11. How will the treatment affect my child’s diet?
12. Will there be pain or discomfort, and how can this be managed?
13. What happens after the treatment?
14. How can I ensure that my child doesn’t suffer from a relapse?
15. How much does treatment cost, and what are the payment options available?
Download and take this list with you!
While it’s important that you make an informed decision, it’s no less important to make sure that your child is emotionally ready for the journey ahead. Having a candid conversation about what to expect before, during, and after treatment can help. If you prefer to leave this to the professionals, the highly qualified i.Dental team would be delighted to share their expertise. Schedule an appointment today!