The Invisalign Teen Cheat Sheet: Parents’ Edition
AKA the Invisalign Teen cheat sheet where you’ll get everything you need to know about this teeth-straightening system and why your teenager wants/needs/deserves it.
Maybe your kid came home one day and asked for Invisalign Teen. Maybe their dentist mentioned it. Maybe you heard about it from a friend. Whichever the case, there’s a high chance that you’re reading this because you want to help your teen achieve their ideal smile; you just haven’t decided how. We’ve put together this quick cheat sheet to help you get up to speed with Invisalign Teen, so you can have an intelligent conversation about it with your kid and their dentist.
What is Invisalign Teen?
It’s a teeth-straightening method that uses virtually invisible aligner trays to gently nudge teeth into their ideal position. It works like braces, minus metal brackets and wires.
How is it different from braces?
In the hands of a qualified dentist (more on that later), both Invisalign Teen and traditional braces can be equally effective in creating the smile that your teen wants. But that’s where the similarity ends. Invisalign Teen is vastly different from traditional braces in every other aspect:
- Comfort – Invisalign Teen uses custom-fit aligner trays to consistently but gently nudge the teeth into place. There are no metal brackets and wires to cause cuts and ulcers. The aligners are smooth, fit snugly onto the teeth, and generally do not affect speech.
- Safety – By removing metal brackets and wires from the equation, your teen won’t suffer mouth injuries while playing sports (or, if you have a clumsy teenager, when falling down). In fact, the aligners double up as a mouthguard to keep their teeth safe.
- Removability – Aligners are removable so your teen can take them off, and eat, brush and floss as they normally would. Unlike braces, there are no diet restrictions.
- Oral Hygiene – Because your teen has to remove the aligners to eat, and brush their teeth before putting the aligners back, they’ll be taking better-than-ever care of their teeth (which is an awesome spin-off effect, we think).
- Speed – In most cases, Invisalign Teen needs 18 to 24 months to work. That’s on par with traditional braces, except that with Invisalign Teen, you have the option of speeding things up with a nifty little device called AcceleDent. Used nightly, AcceleDent can cut treatment time by encouraging faster teeth movement.
- Schedule – With Invisalign Teen, your teen is looking at dentist visits as infrequent as once in every four months. At clinics that offer the Dental Monitoring service, such as i.Dental, the dentist can keep remote tabs on your teen’s progress. All your teen has to do is to take photographs or videos of their teeth, and the smart app analyses whether teeth movement is on track. Once the dentist verifies this, your teen is free from another dental appointment!
- Aesthetics – We saved this for last because it’s really quite obvious that Invisalign Teen isn’t obvious at all. In fact, it’s so subtle that there’s a high chance your teen will complete the treatment without anyone knowing. It’ll save your teen (and their fragile self-esteem) from unnecessary stress.
Does it really work?
The Invisalign Teen system is designed to handle simple to complex cases, as well as different types of crooked teeth. If you need more convincing, ask your dentist to show you a 3D computer simulation of how your teen’s teeth are expected to move during the course of the treatment. This is created from an actual scan of your teen’s teeth and will help you visualise the end results (assuming your teen follows treatment instructions).
There is no doubt when it comes to the efficacy and ease of the Invisalilgn Teen treatment process. If there has to be a ‘but’, it’s in terms of cost, as all the benefits of Invisalign Teen come at a higher price tag than traditional braces.
Just remember that only dentists accredited by Align Technology are qualified to perform the treatment. Post-accreditation, dentists are furthered tiered to indicate the number of Invisalign cases they have completed in a year.
Once a year, Align Technology brings accredited Invisalign providers together to celebrate achievements and share best pratices. Can you guess how many awards the i.Dental team picked up at the 2018 Invisalign Summit? Meet the team here.
Book an appointment today to learn more about Invisalign treatment for your teen.